- One variety NEH Megha Rice 3 was released in 2009.Three genotypes RCPL1-18C, 1-62C and 1-63C are in 3rd year of testing. Out of these1-63C gave 10% yield superiority over best check NEH Megha Rice 1 (2.4 t/ha).
- A Recombinant Inbred Population (600 lines) was developed for QTL mapping for cold tolerance
- Developed and released two semi-aromatic fine grain varieties of rice viz. Megha SA1 and Megha SA2. These genotypes retain moderate basmati type aroma even under high rainfall. Between them, Megha SA1 matures in 140 days and yields 3.9 t/ha. Megha SA2 matures in 140 days and yields 4.9 t/ha. These genotypes found a place in the Technology Advisory Note of IFAD and DVD of IRRI (International Rice Research Institute)
Rice breeding for mid altitude upland
- Two upland varieties, Bhalum 3 and Bhalum 4 were released in 2010. Bhalum 4 is tolerant to stem borer, leaf folder and gandhi-bug. Yield potential is 4.2 t/ha and duration ranges from 140 – 150 days. Yield advantage over Bhalum 1 is about 20%. These genotypes also found place in the Technology Advisory Note of IFAD and DVD of IRRI. Currently these varieties are being used by Govt. of Meghalaya, NERCOMP, ICIMOD for various extension programmes.
- Physical and nutritional quality analysis of popular rice varieties and germplasm of NE region were taken up. Promising genotype for different amino acids and essential elements are given below:
|Taothabi||High lysine (8.41g/16gN)|
|Moringphou||High methionine ( 9.36g / 16gN)|
|Chahou amoba||High iron (19 ppm)|
|Moringphou||High calcium (30mg / 100g)|
- Three mapping populations and several advanced generation lines had been developed.
- Collected 353 new germplasm (AP, AS, NL) including some specialty jhum rice. Characterized 600 germplasm and developed catalogue for 400 germplasm.
- In vitro screening protocol for aluminium toxicity tolerance, heat tolerance and cold tolerance at different growth stages of rice had been standardized.
- Nearly 600 germplasm of rice screened for aluminium toxicity tolerance, heat tolerance and cold tolerance and core genotypes for each stress were identified.
Maize Improvement Programmes
- Developed two composites of 100-110 days duration, RCM-75 and RCM-76, for the NE Hills with yield potential of 5.0-5.5t/ha.
- Identified one OPV maize genotype showing QPM character (tryptophan 0.86, lysine 3.87g/16gN)
- Two gene pools, white and yellow kernel, were created from the germplasm through selection.
- Nutritional analysis of maize germplasm showed that tryptophan contents of the genotypes varied from 0.061 g/100g protein to 0.913 g/100g protein. Five genotypes were identified having high tryptophan contents. Inbred development from these genotypes is in progress.
- A programme on development of QPM inbreds through MAS is in progress. The population is in BC2F3 &
- Nearly 900 lines (inbreds, hybrids, landraces) of maize screened for high moisture stress tolerance and eight highly tolerant lines identified.
Pulse and Oilseed Improvement Programme
- Seven photo insensitive lines (1.5 – 1.7 t/ha) of ricebean had been identified and two genotypes suitable for spring season had been developed.
- Eight urdbean genotypes suitable for upland condition had been identified. Mean trial yield was 7 Q/ha. Superior genotypes were KU 527 (9.9 Q/ha) and Pahelo Dal 4 (7.5 Q/ha).
- Seven promising lentil genotypes (L4147, PL639, PL4, VL 1, VL 126, Pant L 406, LH84-8) were identified as suitable for Meghalaya. Seeds of the genotypes are being supplied to KVKs and DAOs for popularizing them in lowland rice fallows.
- Two varieties of Lathyrus, ' Nirmal' and 'Mahatewra' were found suitable for upland rice fallow.
Identification of lentil genotypes:
|Variety||Altitude||Maturity (days)||Grain yield (Q/ha)|
|L 4147||Mid and low||120-130||8-10|
|PL 639||Mid and low||125-130||8-10|
|PL 4||Mid and low||125-130||7-8|
|Pant L 406||Low||135-140||14-15|
|LH 84—8 (Sapana)||Low||135-140||14-15|
- Two Soybean lines – RCS 1-9 and Cross – 2 – 2 (3.16 – 3.21 t/ha) had shown promise. Both are significantly superior to JS-335 and JS 80-21(1.8-2.1 t/ha).
- A composite of toria developed from local germplasm having yield potential better than M27 would be entered in AICRP this year
- Developed 28 hyper variable SSRs for ricebean. Used these SSRs for cross species amplification in Vigna radiata, Phaseolus vulgaris and Cajanus cajan.
- A Protocol for transgenic development in chickpea had been standardized. Age of embryo and method of plant establishment was different from previous studies.
- Diversity analysis of chilli using 32 SSR markers led to identification of unique genotype from Mizoram which is morphologically similar to king chilli but genetically different.